Are you looking for a better rate of return on your savings accounts but do not want to commit to a long-term CD? Do you have funds sitting around at other financial institutions that are not earning you competitive returns? Have you ever wanted to have your cake and eat it too?
Check out our special one-year CD offered at a whopping 2.05% APY*, with a $25,000 minimum deposit. It allows you to earn 46% more (with a rate 0.65% higher) than the regular one year CD and is available in both regular and IRA versions. With this special CD, you can earn a rate often reserved for longer-term CDs while only having to commit to one year. This offer will not last forever, so open one now!
*APY=Annual Percentage Yield
All members and SRI International employees are invited to attend SRI Federal Credit Union’s 61st Annual Meeting to celebrate the Credit Union’s success during 2017. The meeting will be held Wednesday, March 21st, at noon in the International Building of SRI. Let us share with you the Credit Union’s 2017 financial performance, accomplishments and future projects.
Back by popular demand, Apryll Held, our Mortgage Loan Specialist, will be on site to answer any mortgage related questions you may have. To speak with Apryll one-on-one, call us at 650-859-5477 to make an appointment. Availability is limited, so be sure to schedule your appointment before spaces run out!
As always, we will have door prizes and giveaways that will not disappoint. Wear your “Let’s Be Real” T-shirt from the 2017 Annual Meeting and get entered to win a special prize! Following the meeting, we invite you to enjoy food and refreshments with other members and credit union staff.
Be sure to save the date, Wednesday, March 21st, at noon. See you there.
Are you still trying to find dinner reservation for Valentine’s Day? Instead of paying marked up prices and trying to enjoy a romantic dinner for two in a crowded restaurant, consider a lovely homemade meal with your special someone.
Plan the right menu
Don’t let cooking scare you. You don’t have to be a Michelin rated chef to create a romantic meal for two. YouTube and Pinterest are your two new best friends, they can help you find easy and delicious recipes with step-by-step instructions. Don’t forget the ambiance! Set the mood by creating a romantic dinner playlist or by enjoying your dinner by candlelight.
If cooking dinner for two is too overwhelming of an idea, split up the work instead! Enjoy a romantic evening preparing a meal together. This great bonding experience can help take some of the culinary pressure off you. So grab your special someone, set the mood and start cooking.
Have a backup plan
Not everyone is gifted in the kitchen. If this is your first time using a stove, it’s a good idea to have a fire extinguisher and take-out menu handy! You definitely don’t want your date to go hungry on Valentine’s Day. Be prepared to order a last-minute pizza or Chinese food delivery, just in case.
If the holidays put a dent in your wallet, you may be strapped for cash this Valentine’s Day. To make next Valentine’s Day more special, open an SRI Federal Credit Union account and start putting aside money each payday. Visit a branch on Valentine’s Day and pick up some candy for your sweetie. Not a member and want to join? Click here to submit a membership application.
We are aware that a large data breach has been reported at Equifax with a reported 143 million records affected. Equifax is offering complimentary identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services to all US consumers.
Please note that although Equifax is reporting that some credit card numbers may have been comprised, SRI Federal Credit Union does NOT report credit card numbers to Equifax (or any other credit agency).
SRI Federal Credit Union recommends members to visit the Equifax website for more information regarding this incident.
We will continue to monitor this situation and provide updates on our website when necessary.
The credit union has a new Online Banking provider. This will allow members more choices of how to transfer money. The new system will require you to go through a validation process including setting up a new username and password. We have had some reports of members having trouble with the validation process. Please stick with us – once all the kinks get worked out you will love the new system.
• TRUSTS: If you have a trust account with the credit union, you will need to use the birthday of the trust as it is in our system. You probably don’t know this date so please contact us to get this date.
• STATEMENTS-On the Android Mobile App: Android phones don’t handle PDF files very well and you may find that statements are not coming up. This is a known issue with Android phones and if you have a PDF reader installed, it “should” come up. For now, please access your statements on a desktop computer (or with an Apple phone or tablet).
• BILL PAYMENTS-Bill payments, including recurring bills, did transfer over properly and are working. The new bill payment system works slightly different. Instead of taking the funds immediately from your account, if a check is issued, the funds are withdrawn when the check clears your account. For electronic payments, the funds are withdrawn when the transfer is made.
There are many new ways to transfer money including:
Electronic Deposit Time Frames
|Type of Electronic Deposit||Product Name on Online banking||Deposit time frame|
|Member to Member (M2M)||Member to Member||Real time|
|Person to Person (P2P)||Pay Someone||Next business day|
|Account to Account (A2A)*||External Transfer||2-3 business days|
|Bill Payment**||Bill Pay||Up to 7 business days|
**Bill Payments can take up to 7 business days depending on what method they are sent out (paper check or electronic transfer).
Click here for Mobile Banking FAQs
We have a member who is on a trip of a lifetime! It is one of those riverboat cruise trips in Europe. Actually, it is a “barge and bike” trip where you go from city to city on the barge and then bicycle around the various towns, historic sites, and wineries! 10 days into his two-week vacation the barge sank.
Auto Rental Collision Damage (if he rented a car and it was damaged)
Emergency Evacuation and Transportation (in case of a medical emergency)
Lost Luggage Reimbursement (if the barge is considered a common carrier and if he charged the barge trip on his SRIFCU Visa)
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption
Trip Delay Reimbursement
Note that all of these extra benefits have various conditions and limitations. You can find all the extra benefit disclosures on our website. One limitation that is common to all these benefits is that you have to have used your SRI Federal Credit Union Visa card (debit or credit) for the initial purchase to qualify for the benefit.
I hope this member charged his trip on his SRIFCU credit card!
P.S. This is also the member that I wrote about in a Hello World story that charged a rental car with his SRIFCU Visa – and then went out and got hit by a deer! He was able to get reimbursement from the auto rental collision damage waiver.
Once upon a time, there was a little chick named Henrietta. Growing up, Henrietta had nothing – no feathers, no car, no house, and no money.
On April 17th our new website goes live! That’s right, this isn’t a late April Fool’s joke. Our staff has worked long and hard to bring you a new and improved website.
In 1957, a group of seven SRI Researchers came together to establish this credit union. They pooled their money ($5.00 each), and the credit union was born. For the first several years, it was run out of a closet. From this first $35, SRI Federal Credit Union (SRIFCU) has grown to more than 3,500 members strong, with ten employees and assets surpassing $83 million.
As we celebrate our 60th anniversary this year, we do so knowing that we have made a real difference in the financial lives of our members and in the lives of their families over the decades. Here’s a look back at our last 60 years:
- In the 60’s,ten years after the credit union started, as SRI International was inventing the mouse, Shakey the Robot, and the Internet, SRIFCU had grown to $2.3 million in assets and the members records were on a computer system at a service bureau.
- By 1977, the credit union doubled again to $5.2 million, while SRI International designed and built the first fax machine and established the operational parameters for the international wire system (SWIFT). Interest rates were close to 6% on savings accounts then!
- In the 80’s, the credit union grew to $16 million, saving rates were 9% and used auto loans were at 16%. Member’s records were moved to an in-house computer system.
- The 90’s were a period of declining rates and growth in financial products. ATM and Credit Cards were introduced, an automatic phone teller system, and real estate lending started accelerating.
- In 2000, when the real estate crisis occurred, we worked with our members to help keep their homes and their vehicles and by 2007, the credit union had grown to $47 million in assets.
- In 2017, as we celebrate 60 years in service, the credit union is $83 million in assets, over $7.2 million in capital and 3,600 members! Members enjoy a wide variety of services and products including 307 real estate loans, 407 auto loans, 1,629 Visa accounts, and 17 student loans.
- What will financial services over the next 60 years look like? Will we have credit cards? Or will all transactions be done on your cell phone? Will there be cell phones? Or will you just blink your passcode through your wireless internet glasses? Will we have passcodes anymore or just rely on thumbprints? Find out at the 60th annual meeting, which will be held at noon on Wednesday, March 15th in the International Building. Be sure to come and find out what “banking” will be like in the year 2077.
Our members are our first priority. The Board of Directors, Supervisory committee, and our staff are driven to make this year, our 60th, even better as we gear up for the next sixty years!
As you were promised in the December Hello World, we have decided to move our newsletter to a faster and more convenient delivery method. Our new blog will give us a unique opportunity to share updates, smart financial content, the latest news, tools and tips.